To clean a garbage disposal: Get rid of built-up sludge and debris by filling it with ice cubes and a cup of rock salt, then run it for about five seconds. If your garbage disposal smells bad, deodorize it by running warm water down it while you grind a lemon.
How to keep your unit in top condition
A sink garbage disposal is a great help in the kitchen, making it fast and easy to clean up your food waste. But you have to treat it with respect if you want it to last.
Contact your Walker plumbing professional today if you need garbage disposal repair or a new installation.
- when grinding food use cold water (hot water can melt fats and clog the drains)
- Don’t overfill the garbage disposer
- Always run water before and after you use the garbage disposal
- Don’t put bleach, drain cleaners, or other chemicals down the unit
- Don’t try to grind bones, coffee grounds, overly fibrous materials (like artichokes or corn husks), or things like glass, metal, or rubber
- If something has been put in the disposal that should not have been, use tongs or pliers to pull the material out. !!!Never use your hand!!!